Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I am so stressed. I have been trying to get my house covered with stucco for several weeks now, and it just doesn't seem to be working smoothly. The contractor that I decided to use was the most expensive, but he convinced me that he would do the best job so I decided to use him. Last Friday I left a message for him saying I finished all the installations and repairs that he required. The following Monday afternoon he still hadn't returned my call.

Late Monday, I called his cell and talked with him. He started interrogating me as to when the interior walls would be finished, if I did all the alterations that he required, and that he wasn't willing to wait forever to put on the color coat or get paid. I reminded him that the inspector was ok with proceeding, and that he required payment in three installations after each portion of the job was complete. He said he would stop by on Wednesday to do another walk through.

Monday afternoon I called another contractor and asked if he was still interested in the job. My conversation with contractor l didn't leave me feeling confident that my house would have stucco any time soon. Contractor ll lowered his price by $1025 and was willing to start on Wednesday. I was content - my house was finally getting protected from the rain.

Early Tuesday morning, before working hours I called contractor l and left a message canceling the Wednesday meeting. I told him I selected another contractor, and thanked him for all the time he spent with me to get my house ready for stucco. Later that day, contractor ll had his workers drop off materials, and I signed the contract.

Tuesday afternoon I get a call from another contractor. I have been trying to find this guy for months. My inspector told me about him, I knew what street he lived on, that he drove a gray truck, and I stopped at a job site to find him. The concrete contractor down the street even stopped by his house to tell him about me. Never heard from him until Tuesday afternoon.

We talked for quite some time about how I couldn't find him. Then he asked me how much contractor ll was charging, and he told me that I was getting taken. I convinced him to stop cooking his dinner and come over to walked the site and tell me what he would do it for. He said he would do it for $2000 less than contractor ll.

Now, I had to call contractor ll and tell him that I decided to go with another contractor. I left 2 messages on his answering machine explaining the situation. He called me that evening, and he was pissed. I finally managed to calm him down, and offered to buy his supplies that he delivered that day. He called me back with a price of $515.56. I said I would talk to the new contractor and see if he would use the materials. The new contractor said that was about $200 too much for supplies, and that I should not pay that much.

So, I called contractor ll back and said that my new contractor didn't want the materials. I apologized over and over for the mess I made, and he beat me up verbally throughout the conversation. All the time I am thinking, "You overcharged me for the job, and then you try to overcharge me for supplies, and I have to take a beating for this?" He finally hung up on me.

So..... I made several bad decisions this week, and had to fix them. I did my best to be honest, and generous with these contractors. I didn't get nasty with these guys even though I knew they were taking advantage of me. I was able to use the tools that the program has taught me to fix this mess, and I am so grateful to have them to fall back on.

The new contractor will start next Monday. I hope I made the right decision...........

9 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Middle Girl said...

Whew..that wore me out just reading it. I can only imagine how you must have felt having to go through all that..

Good luck with contractor number ?
Whoever...Good Luck :)

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Mary Christine said...

Happy Valentine's Day, and I hope that guy does the work he is supposed to do when he is supposed to do it.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger ArahMan7 said...

Happy Valentines. You're making the right decision.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am sure you made the right decision.

Your really amazing how you handle these guys. I find it very frustrating dealing with men on that level. I feel like they think I am some dumb broad and can not even stomach it. I even told a carpet sales guy I didn't want his product and I was done with his presentation. He was a bit miffed but he was such and oaf to me. URGH!

You go wit yo bad self!

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contractors are in an entire class by themselves, I think ;)
We had our contractor literally try to RUN from us when we saw him in Lowe's. My gf actually chased him down the aisle and then said, "You can't hide from us that easily" in front of the rest of his crew. It was so, so hilarious. She worked a good program in dealing with him, too.
Me? I'm a newcomer, so I keep my mouth shut.
I hope this new dude works out for you, Sundown. This stuff can be so frustrating!
Peace,
Scout

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger KMae said...

What a drag.
We shall all be WAITING to hear the outcome of #3... seeing that you couldn't find him in the beginning!
Best of luck, PRAY!
Contractors are hard to trust.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez girl what patience and footwork. I am glad that in the end everything is working out. If you loose your cool, most likely you would be wasting your energy and adding more fuel to the fire. Of course this is so easy to recognize but when in the moment, can be challenging to overcome.

I enjoy reading your experience and how you handled yourself. Hope you and your fuzy girl pup are doing well and staying dry.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I am chuckling, just a little bit, because it is so nice when we can life live in the moment, as you are doing.

Sobriety and the program give us a truly new freedom.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger KMae said...

Hey, I wanted to mention in case you didn't catch it...
Craig Ferguson did a FABULOUS 30minute qualification during his monologue last night mon 2/19! He was so real. He spoke of having 15yrs sober & how back when he was 'out there' he would be doing crazy stuff... like Brittney & that ANS just died, that it's a serious disease & please ask for help, it's easy to find in the phone book...

He was totally eloquent, tears were just falling from my eyes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home