Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I haven't posted in a while...... Working on the house has been exhausting me, and I've been spending too much time in my head. And, as we all know that can be a problematic for a recovering alcoholic - thinking quite frequently gets me off the beaten path and into the nearest quagmire.

There is a woman that I dance with at the local club. Lately, I have decided to put some distance between us because I was getting to wound up in unhealthy drama. I have written about her before. She drinks, but doesn't use drugs and has gone through treatment in the past for drugs. To date, she doesn't realize that alcohol is just another drug, and she believes that she doesn't have a problem with it.

When I first met her she would have one glass of wine, and then drink water the rest of the night. Now, her drinking has progressed to several drinks a night, and she recently started dating a woman that smokes pot. Unfortunately, she hasn't completely ended the last relationship she was in, and I think she is still seeing that woman too.

She knows that I am clean and sober. One of the reasons we couldn't date is because I need someone who is willing to not drink or use around me. Over the last several months I have watched her alcohol consumption increase and it bothers me. To me, it appears that she is positioning herself step by step closer to using drugs. I feel totally helpless.

There is no way she will accept any program information from me. She has made that very clear - my sobriety, and my program are for me to keep to my self. So, what would any program person do? I called another friend of hers that is in the program. I explained how I noticed the changes, and how I was worried that she was sliding down a slippery slope. This friend is going to figure out a way to 12 step her without giving up her sources. Now, all I can do is sit back and hope she has reached a bottom, and is willing to make changes.

10 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I hope she can help her get on track. Good dancing partners are hard to find.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger dAAve said...

When you were at her stage of progression, would you have taken the advice of someone who is clean and sober? Not me.
She has to walk her own path, regardless of how difficult it is for others to watch.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger ArahMan7 said...

Great to hear from you again.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said...

Here's hoping she's ready.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Ditto.

I hope she's ready to help herself.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger KMae said...

I agree with Daave.
She doesn't sound ready to me, but there is always hope.
It is ALWAYS so damn dissappointing when those we care about are out there lost. And why is it always the best dancers??
Remember we can only change ourselves. Let go & let God... sorry those damn slogans drive me nuts... but there it is.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She just might have a small spark of desire in there and our job is to fan it and offer hope.
You did well to do your part.
Peace,
Scout

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Mary-Anne said...

I really like what Scout said. Good for you for making the effort. The trick is to detach from the result. I used to be a lot tougher, tough luv, etc., but I dont think that ever really helped anyone. You are a good example. You've planted the seed. Thats what we do. Hopefully it will take root, in God's time, not ours.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Thank you for your support. It is hard to watch someone you care about fall apart in front of you. All I can do is be ready when she is.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I was facing addiction and wanted to go to a Malibu rehab. These guys are the best and the really know how to help a person grow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home