Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Prride Parade and festival was last weekend. It was kind of disappointing this year, and I have been trying to figure out if it is me, or the event....... I would like to say it was the event, or the folks that put it together, but I'm pretty sure it was me. In fact, I know it was me.

I injured my foot earlier that week so I tried to limit my walking. Usually I walk from the end of the route to the beginning, and stop to say hi and get hugs along the way. At the beginning of the parade route I sit with my sober friends and just before the parade finishes I start walking back to the festival.

This year I stopped in the middle and hung out with some of the girls I dance with. It was a quite group that didn't get out of their seats much or make a lot of noise. When the parade was over we all started walking up to the festival. It is really difficult to get a group of women to walk consistently in the same direction, at the same pace, to the same location. I started falling behind with a group that had to make a stop at the portable toilets. Trying to get them in and out and heading back up the hill to the festival was proving impossible.

While we were waiting someone, I don't quite know who, brought out a pott brownie. They all started sharing and complaining that whoever made it didn't grind up the pott well enough. I was so disappointed to have to see this. I really had no idea that these women did drugs. There were all athletes (not that it makes any difference), and I really only thought they did the social drinking thing.

We finished walking up the hill, and got sucked into one of the parties on the way to the festival. I went in to use a private restroom, but didn't stay for the food. I was already bored with the using, and the length of time it took to walk a quarter mile. I said goodbye to the girls and continued on to the festival alone.

I walked the festival, did a little dancing and went home. It has been a week, and I am still disappointed at seeing the pott brownie. After all this time I still feel uncomfortable around drugs. It's like getting too close to a hot flame. Next year I will have to walk the entire parade route so I can sit with my sober friends at the beginning.

9 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this gloominess. I hope that writing about it can bring some relief from the disappointment you are feeling as a result of this situation. Thank you for sharing this.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Alcoholic Brain said...

Thank God for porta potties. Brownies are full of fat anyway...

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know what you mean. I am not a big fan of being around people who are indulging. On the other hand it keeps things real green.

Hope you have a great week.

G~

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said...

My son & I have had a few conversations about how hard it is to hang with folks who indulge. As a result he tends to go to most festivals and the like alone. He doesn't mind this--he dances, eats and gets to experience exactly what he wants, when he wants.

Hope you are feeling better.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pride in Mpls has grown so huge that it's like 250,000 people now -- the vast majority of them drunk off their asses and in some sort of "disrobement".
It bugs -- so I stopped going.
It was my 1st Pride in N-ville this summer and it was nice. Small but nice. Not a drunken slop fest.
Sober pride is much better, isn't it?
Peace,
Scout
P.S. How about the bridge, Sundown? Can you believe it?????

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger KMae said...

Oh, dang, I HATE that.
You did the right thing & cooly went on your own (healthy) way.
Sometimes the "better" choice is lonely.

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schwartzenegger insists the victims of the 2007 Southern California firestorm residing at Jack Murphy Stadium are happy.
First he calls Tonight Show host Jay Leno an "idiot". Then he drops this bomb.
If it were Gray Davis the gods would have their media attack him mercilessly for these mistakes. Together they may be enough to cost any other politician his career. But not Arnold Schwartzenegger.
They say he says makes suspect comments all the time, and they are all buried. And it is because they have BIG plans for him::::He is a tool who will be used to accomplish historical evil for the gods.

They say there is a sense of "unease" at the State Capital, like he doesn't belong there. It is because he doesn't. He is not American. Sadly this is an issue that is too readily discounted:::
He is not from the United States. His loyalties lie with a country that was the enemy of the United States a mere 65 years ago.
Just as we witnessed with Clinton in 1992 expect blacks to register and vote en masse for Schwartzenegger as well, a clue and a red flag.

Just as we haven't seen any more of that "Everybody is happy." idiocy from the Preditor so do we no longer hear anything of the possibility a firefighter started one if not more of these SoCal fires, buried forever.
Weight training, promotion of pharmeceuticals, desensitizing "guy flicks" all prove the name "Preditor" is warranted.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really have much of a problem anymore but a funny ting happened today, A Non Sober Friends or "normally" asked what the lifestyle was like, and I actually got a taste in my mouth like I had just hit the pipe, it sickened me but made me realize how I'm always that one step away. Thanks for a great blog.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Do you need some info on alcohol rehab california? Then these guys should work for you. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home