Sunday, May 06, 2007


Well, I have discovered that watermelons are best left for eating. I just couldn't get a satisfying photograph out of the little charmer.
.
Last week I was suffering from my perfectionism and needed to have a perspective adjustment (a.k.a. meeting). I have had some setbacks with the house repairs, and was very discouraged. When I get discouraged I loose my motivation, and that generally leads to disaster. It is much easier to head off a disaster with a meeting then suffer all alone in my misery, and Clean up the mess I make because of it.

I contacted Georgia to see if she was up to a meeting. Surprisingly, she immediately said yes. We went to the CMA meeting that we attended before. Somehow sitting in a meeting stops my insanity from spinning out of control, and I am able to put life, and it's petty interruptions in perspective.

It took several weeks but Georgia finally arrived at the real reason to continue drinking. She doesn't want to give it up because it numbs the loneliness she is feeling. The difficult thing about watching someone struggle with this disease is that it brings you right back to your own beginning of recovery. I remember what it was like to not want to feel. I remember staying one step away from loneliness. I remember the overwhelming desire to use. No matter how much time goes by those memories are still vivid.

Fortunately, I have tools now to combat the loneliness. I know what to do when the desire to drink or use rears it's ugly head. I hope Georgia will become willing to discover these tools, and use them again.


7 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Mary Christine said...

I am glad you are there for Georgia.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said...

I'm sure Georgia welcomes you in her corner. Hopefully...as you said, she will.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell Georgia she is not alone in this feeling os lonliness. Many have lived through such isolation, many have rose above from this isolation. Many live this isolation today . . . what gets us thru it all is that gift of HOPE. I know this isolation, and I understand her reason to become ill by the drink.

In my active illness I keep others sober, it is strange how this all works. So I have purpose now, and it is being defined every day.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really respect you for being able to still relate the the feelings we have as newcomers -- many people with long term sobriety seem to forget just how difficult early recovery can be. She will learn, in time, just how lucky she is to have you in her life.
How is the new pup? I would like to see some pics!
Peace,Sundown,
Scout
P.S. The rest of the story is in the archives for April I suppose --maybe March. It is all there, girl. Thanks for your interest in it.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think your melon photo is beautiful!

It is so hard to watch others struggle and really keeps it greener than that melon. But for the Grace of God.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

How nice you can be there for Georgia. It is a choice isn't it?

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

It is nice you are there for george but I really admire how you are there for yourself and know when and what you need to keep yourself balanced - it sounds like the meetings are a really good resource.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home