Sunday, September 16, 2007

I'm back. I had a wonderful trip home to the Midwest. The weather was gorgeous - so beautiful that I actually wondered (several times) why I left. Then I woke up one morning and it was windy and cold. I repacked the shorts and the flip flops, and spent the rest of my vacation in jeans and long sleeve shirts.

The family reunion was a success. It was a pot luck with all those old recipes that peppered my childhood. I don't eat that way anymore, but it was nice to enjoy the memories.

It was a joy to see all my relatives again. I have an aunt that I haven't seen in over 25 years. She was always the family favorite. I worried that I would never see her alive again and that was the impetus to organize this reunion. My oldest aunt is 82 and the youngest is 68 so their years on this planet are slowly becoming fewer. I was so happy to seem them and their well polished quirks.

I was able to see my childhood friend. It was a shock to see her, and see how different our lives have become. Her memory is sharp and we talked about all the crazy things we did when we were young. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I did make amends to her, but she wasn't willing to drag out all the details of the past, so I didn't push it.

There is something about going home that is comforting to the soul. I love all the attention I get from my family, and I quietly sit there and soak it up. It was so rewarding that we are talking about doing it again next year.

10 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

That's wonderful! I'm glad that you had such a good time.

Did you take the puppy?

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Tabitha.Montgomery said...

What a beautiful post Sober at Sundown..reminded me of a scene from a heart warming movie..only you are so for real ! Thanks for taking us back home with you :)

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

That's great that you were able to face those memories with her, and also that she was able to deal with it in a healthy way, also.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am really glad to hear things went well. I only live 40 minutes from home and it makes me feel ill if I have to go there. Too much sickness for me.

Welcome home ~

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said...

Fantastic!! Happy homecomings warm the heart, settle the soul.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

I'm really really glad your family visit went well, it is great to meet people who are interested in you and want to tell you about thier lives too.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

Darn it - I lost your email address - can you email me please and I can send you the diagnosis?

Thanks (mpshiel@hotmail.com)

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Monday SunnyDown:)

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like this has left you with a feeling of being a little lighter. I can only imagine hanging out with an old friend in a sober state of mind laughing it up.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Alcoholic Brain said...

Truly a beautiful experience that would never have happened without recovery eh? Good for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home