Sunday, September 30, 2007

Hello friends,

Once again I have put off blogging. I have been trying for days to come up with a topic that is relevant to my current experience, but they all escape me. All I can think of is busy, busy busy...... and that's not really a recovery topic, just a current state of affairs.

I have been working on the house (never seems to end) and trying to get ready for the final application of stucco. Seems I have been doing this for ages, but I am almost there. I have finally settled on the trim colors. I am going to paint the front trim one color and the back trim another. Next week the painters will come to paint. I don't have the patience to paint so I am more than happy to pay someone to do it.

Last week I started contacting kitchen contractors. I am getting really excited about having a kitchen. It's those little things in life, like doing the dishes in a sink designed for that particular activity instead of the bathroom tub. I will be getting 2 bids this week, and will be contacting another contractor for one more.

I was fortunate to spend some time in a fiig orchard this weekend. It was fun tasting all the different fiigs that are in season here in southern California. I am a total fiig nut and I walked away with two different varieties to add to my garden. If anyone is counting that would be a total of 4 fiig trees for the back yard. I hope to add more next year.

I heard through the grapevine that my friend who still chooses to drink is moving back to her hometown. At first I was sad that she was leaving, and thought about approaching her and maybe even dancing with her again. My last memories of interacting with her happened months ago when I asked her to dance (twice). Once she said, "I'm having an important conversation", and the other time she let her hometown friend push me out of the way to dance "one last dance" with her. I thought it would be important to have a final memory that was better than that one.

That lasted for about twenty minutes, then my finely tuned cynicism set in....... It's difficult for an alcoholic/addict to know what balance is. It isn't something that comes naturally, and I never quite know if I've reached it or not. I usually have to rely on feedback from my friends in the program.

10 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said...

I'm anxious to see pics of your house. The not wanting to be without & the disruption caused is what's slowing me from de- and then re-constructing my place. That and the $$$$.

I hope your friend who chooses to drink finds the help and the solace she needs back home.

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Remember the pics I took of us ripping at my walls? They still look the same. We have had preliminary plans done with the Architect and are moving along at a snails pace with the details of it all. With John running the marathon and he has a huge lighting exam the day before we just don't have the mental resources to get behind it yet.

Can not wait to see more pics. I really enjoy watching the progress of something positive. It is a beautiful thang.

Hope your well. Have a wonderful day!

G~

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger nickycakes said...

I feel like your blog would be a valuable resource for other people in recovery at my recovery blog list. Please take a moment and sign up if you would like to take part @ http://www.odatonline.com/bloglist.

Also I've designed a cool sobriety time counter that you can add to your blog here: http://www.odatonline.com/sobriety-counter.

Thanks and have a great day!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Tabitha.Montgomery said...

Hi Sober at Sundown..!
Welll I am glad to see you too are posting again.No matter what the topic we blogger peeps can post just to keep in touch if we like.
The recovery stuff is only part of our community out here I believe :)

I closed my blog temporarily there for abit and I sent out invites.
I was sure I sent one to you after you emailed me!?? I didn't block you though..never doubt you are welcomed at my bloggage anytime you tango dancing scuba diving with the tiger shark self proclaimed kitchenless californian fiig eating cool blogger peep !
(phew! you are a busy peep to describe..lol)
anyways...I like reading what other people are up to .I am not in recovery so a lot of the program talk is above my head HOWEVER...the healing process and discussions on drug and alcohol issues are always of interest to me so when you do share about that,
I just want you to be sure you know I care about that stuff too.
long ass comment...I am working to put back my blog..slowly but surely..soon I will have my links done..and who knows what else I decide to add..lol

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Casdok said...

I new kitchen!
That is exciting!!
(or does that make me sound sad!)

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger KMae said...

It's so bittersweet, isn't it?...
Wanting so much for friends to be sober.
Keep the focus on yourself.

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just stopping in to say hey!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Deb, and Gwen, I will see if I have any pics that show significant progress.
Tab, you are welcome here, too.
Casdok, we think alike, a kitchen is an exciting thing.
Gwen, hey back to ya.

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to have you back! I have two figs in my Cape Town garden. White Cape Genoa fig and a brown fig. Delicious in late summer. Their root systems are vast.

It isn't easy to let go of nostalgic moments and might-have-beens, is it? But sometimes it is the best way to stay steady and keep healing.

A big hug to you.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Sundown! Thanks for continuing to stop by my blog -- even when I have been a sick blogger. It is greatly appreciated.
I want to see some pics of the house and of Willow, too! Can you oblige?
Peace,
Scout

 

Post a Comment

<< Home