Monday, June 12, 2006

Another beautiful day here in southern California. I started working on my electrical wiring, but didn't get very far. Some of my tools were missing...... Hmmm, they were broken in February and I am still waiting for replacements. You would think that another resentment was brewing, but quite the opposite. I will have to replace them myself, and not wait any longer for NVF to become responsible.

I went fencing on Saturday, and once again, had a blast. I fenced with Chris, Ian and Alex. What a group! Chris is a quiet, mild-mannered epeeist, who fences foil when his real opponents are not around. Put this guy on the strip with a sword, and he becomes a wild man. He was having a bit of trouble aiming for the lame`, and scattered welts up and down my left side. One poorly aimed thrust went under my jacket, down my sweats, past the skivvies, and skidded over my abdomen to rest just inches above one of my favorite body parts. I might have to invest in some additional protective gear to continue fencing with Chris.

Ian is a young college student that doesn't waste any energy. His technique is as smooth as a well oiled machine. I don't know of anyone else that can parry and riposte with such fine precision. He is so much fun to fence.

Alex is a middle-age Italian with orangutan arms. He generally has up to three girlfriends at a time, and his only admission is, "Never trust an Italian." Sometimes I beat him, and sometimes I don't. It is always a guessing game with him because I never know what he is going to do. Somehow he defies the laws of physics.

They all managed to protest when I tried to leave early to attend the pottery sale in the park, so I stayed an additional hour. I am way too out of shape to fence for three hours straight. Add several hours of two-stepping that evening, and this old body was saying bad things to me. Sunday was a day of non-movement with only a Tango lesson in the evening.

Life is good.

7 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Self announced Electicrian,
Kick Ass Fencer,
Pottery Sales consumer,
Tango Dancer Extrodinaire,
Single,
Sober,
Cha! I would say life is good.
Thanks for sharing~

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Tiffanie said...

Sounds like you are doing well.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Gooey Munster said...

Wowsers, um, where can I get a fencing dictionary? LOL, there is so much lingo I don't know about it -- almost a different language. However, I do get that you are having a ball doing this.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger dAAve said...

Fencing?
Wow!!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

Go fencing - sound like you are having fun. I don't know if this will help but a woman in our club takes an big ace bandage wrap and wraps it around her upper arm to give her more protection against wild ones like Chris.

I have to say that Amanda once hit my groin so hard it left a three inch welt - which was annoying - but not as painful as the 6 times I have hit Steve in the groin (that strange slow crumbling motion guys have - all I can say is, "Do you really want to keep parrying down like that?")

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Yes Tab, life is good. Sometimes I just forget to remember it. I have a lot of interests to keep me busy, and a lot of work that has to be done on my house. I only need more time..... and a girlfriend would be a nice distraction.

Sober Chick - yes, fencing does have it's own terminology, and you do have it right, I have been enjoying fencing again.

Thanks for the tip, Elizabeth. That is the one downfall of being left handed - I either get nailed in the upper arm, or thigh. It's kind of funny that these guys won't wear Protective gear. After all, that portion of their body is part of the target area.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Joan Brown said...

When our practice got started we needed non 12 step rehab centers help. These were the guys we turned to and they did a great job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home