Saturday, July 01, 2006

I spent the last 2 weeks working on my house and avoiding my latest loss. I lost all the data for my drawings to obtain building permits the same day I lost my Willow. I spent a week where I did nothing but recreate those drawings. I am grateful the inspector likes me.... cause he overlooked a great deal. I don't have building permits yet, but should get them next week (the planner doesn't like me much).

This last week, we worked on demolition. I have a guy helping me that was difficult to get use to, but eventually grew on me. He is big and strong, has a girlfriend, and knows construction. What more could a lesbian want. He can only help me for the next few weeks so posting might be sparse cause we have a lot of work to do. I am hoping that we can build 4 new walls, repair the roof, and build a new roof before he goes back to Nevada. The garage will have to wait.....

Today, I tore off the old roof. My roofer wanted to charge me $1600 to remove the shingles and paper. I thought it was too much money for something that I could do myself. I really have a hard time shelling out money for something that is simple. I got it almost all done in about six hours. I still have to remove the nails on the back side and then remove the paper. I figure 2 more hours.

So, one girl, eight hours, saved $1600. I would say that is a good day. That extra money could take me and my next girlfriend to Hawaii. That is a wonderful thought.
.
.
The roof.

This is the back of the house where the roof was damaged.
.
This is the front of my house. We just removed the damaged wall.

5 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

((Hi Sober!!!!!))
Nice to see you post again :)

(Breaks are important at times)

Good to see you are throwing yourself into your house renovations and totally freaking good for you for doing the work yourself and banking that cashola for a hot date to Hawaii !hehehehe

You sound like you have a lot going on and your grief for Willow is probably not too far below the surface.I wish you serenity and time for yourself and heart to heal.

Tab

ps.
I made enough jam feed China today..yeah..China!!!! lol
but my tongue is fried from all of my taste testing..lol !

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sorry about your loss there....

Good to see you posting again.

I always believe when one door closes, a window opens (maybe just not when we want it to happen, but it does.

Be well and peaceful.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

You definately fall into the category of "handy" lesbian - which seems to be financially positive thing to be. My partner and I once made some shelves and painted them, they ened up crooked. $1600 for 6 hours work on your roof? I probably still couldn't do it, but at least know I know someone else to hire for half the price (then we can both go to hawaii!)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Gooey Munster said...

You Go!!!! My mom is similar to you, she is what em above calls a "handy lesbian." LOL. My mom is so beautiful. She is the one that takes care of my truck when there is a problem with the engine or something (I just keep it looking pretty, I get the ear from her though, mom knows best). She is like you in a sense that she would take down the roof too! She knocked down the wall to make a master bedroom in her last home. That's my mom.

You sound like you are doing better. All this is making you strong, and your experiences will help someone some day.

Take care, have a safe 4th of July.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Tab, I have no time to grieve with all this work in front of me. The time will come, and I know the tears will fall.

Barbara, I hope a window will open for me.... not that I really need one with my roof missing, but I am enjoying all the light that comes through.

Elizabeth, I don't really consider myself "handy". I am just cheap, resourceful, and stubborn enough to hang on till I get my way. I loose very few battles with these character defects.

Start planning that trip to HI.

Sober Chick, I am not really doing any better. I still miss her like crazy from sunup till sundown. I am just too busy trying to get a lot of work done in a short amount of time. but, thanks for your support.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home