Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sorry for not posting very much the last few weeks. I sit down at the end of a day around 7pm, and nothing much works anymore. The brain is asleep, the arms are heavy, and my typing skills become nonexistent.

I almost fired my worker and his buddy today. My worker told me that his buddy was a really good concrete footing professional that really knew his shit. Unfortunately, that is not the case. He needs a lot of direction, and waits till he is given a task before he does anything. So, I lost my temper again today, and told my worker that I didn't think his buddy was worth his wages, and that I could get a go-for in here at a much cheaper rate.

My worker wanted to help his friend who is down on his luck, and needed a job, so he brought him over. I don't mind helping someone out, but if they can hardly wait till beer-thirty at the end of the day, I get a little irritated. I have decided to keep him for the rest of the week till all the forms are set, and then he has to go back home. I feel like I am getting one guy for the price of two, and we are not getting the job done any faster.

That brings me to my biggest character defect. I am trying to be patient, but I keep loosing my temper. I have not been even a "fair" example of sober living the last few days. When you hire individuals, and not companies, you never get the best and brightest. I know that, and I can hear my mind telling me that, but I still get impatient with these guys. It is all based on expectations. I expect a certain amount of work done each day. When I see how little has progressed at the end of the week, I get impatient. And, I am not any good at hiding my feelings. It is simply torturous to stay calm, and try to get the most out of these guys.

For example, I don't have a roof covering my house. We took it off last month. I have been trying to get it put back together, but it keeps getting delayed by other tasks. Saturday, at 5:30 in the morning, it unexpectedly started raining. All I could do was get up and go sit in the living room and watch the rain saturate what is left of my house (luckily, I only blew one circuit).

On Sunday, I got up on the roof and started assembling the boards, and nailing them on. On Monday, the guys were functioning at their usual speed, and I had to get really agitated to get them up on the roof. They installed about 80% of the boards, and called it beer-thirty. Today, I had to go up there and finish the entire east side of the roof. At least in the east side, I have something to nail plastic to when it starts to rain. The west is still a big open hole.

Today, I feel a little overwhelmed with all the work that needs to be done in such a short period of time. I am trying to focus on 'one thing at a time', in "one day at a time" and make it through the week. I think I am just exhausted, and need a few hours of sleep before tackling the project again.

I feel like I am just rambling, but thanks for reading..........

6 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Building a house is enough to make anyone want to kill something. Perhaps that's a sign of your patience, that these guys are still alive. Sorta puts it in perspective, hey?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

I like reading this - I am sure in a few months...years maybe you will look back on this time, sudder and swear; "NEVER again!" - ahh the good days!

Besides it is always nice when one is down to read about someone else sweating it out in the hot sun.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger KMae said...

Gosh, what a seemingly impossible task! Wow, impressive... Perhaps you need more help or different help, as you said. Lots of luck with this.
PS Clean & Sober 26yrs here!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Thanks for your perspective, Daniel. I have been trying to be patient.......

EM, I will definitely say, "Never again!" Rebuilding has been a fun experience, but we need to leave the manual labor to the boys...

I'm glad you like reading this stuff. I worry about boring people.

Kmae, this is impossible task, until I narrow it down to one task at a time, one day at a time. Congratulations on your 26 years! I went to your blog, but I can't comment unless I join aol.......

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh geese Sobes, I hope you are managing to get a little more than just a few hours of sleep ..
you are working so hard ..you sound pooped.I hope everything will work out in the end...in the meantime..
don't let anyone bring ya down!
Keep on keeping on..
Thanks for sharing~

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes we need a good ramble. Have not read the next post but hope your feeling better. I think I will go find out. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home