Friday, July 21, 2006

This week I learned how to bend rebar with a tool called a Hicky. I bent all the 1/2" rebar to 90 degree angles for the corners. Each bar is 10 feet, and you put this tool in the center. The tool has 3 hooks on it that hold the rebar in place, and a long handle. Then you put your foot right next to the tool to help stabilize it, and pull. I am not quite tall enough, or heavy enough to do this without ending up on the concrete, but it is a soft landing.

I explained to my worker that he, and his friend were costing more to build the footings than it would have been to hire my old contractor who was cheating me. I was proud of how I handled it. I didn't yell, scream or belittle him. I just told him how I perceived the last two weeks, and why I was so bitchy. I told him that his friend was not welcome back, but that he could come back on Tuesday. Then I said, "I'm done bitching, so what needs to be done." We spent the rest of the day building forms and tying rebar.

I took today off. I haven't had a day off in almost 2 months. I went shopping for shorts. Did you know that you can't buy shorts in July in Southern California? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Pride is next weekend, and this girl is not prepared! I went to 2 malls, and finally found one pair of shorts, but they don't fit very well. I'm not complaining (too much), but they are a size 4, and too fricken big. I have always been able to fit into a size 4, but since it became popular to be petite, the sizing has increased dramatically. I took them home, washed them in hot water, and now they are drying on the hottest setting. Wish me luck bloggers, I have to look good next weekend!

Shopping is exhausting, but good for the soul......

9 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF LITTLE MISSY DO YOU MEAN...
YOUR FIRST DAY OFF IN TWO MONTHS?!
No wonder you have been sooo freaking tired and bitchy!
You deserve to take care of yourself better than that.I know you are just trying to work hard to get your work done...its your life..
just don't die trying to get too much done in one little day~!
I am done nagging at you now.
Good night :)

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I thought shorts were invented in California! or something like that...

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

As a size 12-14, I am working here to summon up some sympathy at your not having the perfect fit size four shorts....working, working - nope that's not happening. Now I know when I go to sales and they only have size 4 and size 20 left, who they are waiting to come by.

I am glad you are taking some time off - shopping therapy is always good - and it sounded like you handled those guys really calmly.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I remember when I was a four. Should I take up building houses? Glad you got some time off. Also congrats on feeling good about how you handled your guys. I think some of that stuff is really really hard. I understand how good it feels to do it without being a crazy loon. Congrats again. G~

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Alcoholic Brain said...

A day off is a good thing. Sometimes I suffer from doing too much. Sounds alcoholic. There is something to be said for retail therapy...No shorts tho...hmmm...odd. Cool that your sober!!

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger dAAve said...

Well done.
I'm surprised to hear the Pride is next weekend. It was the last week in June everywhere else that I know of.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

You have every right to hold those guys' feet to the fire about the footings! If they give you any more shit, tell them you're going after their insurance bond. That'll light their *sses right up.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Rex said...

I agree with Tab! Have to take care of yourself first before you can accomplish anything else!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Well, I must confess, that I do have one addiction left, and that is shopping. It could be worse, I know, but I confess that I will shop, even in the heat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home