Sunday, July 23, 2006

This weekend was too hot to do anything but sweat. The air was hot and humid, and us softies from southern California have little tolerance for this kind of weather. I basically crashed, burned, and skidded to a stop. My only other activity besides shopping included poodle diving with Kodiak, my standard poodle.

When I moved into this house, every single one of my poodles took their turn at falling in the pool. Kodi was the first. One day I looked outside, and there he was in the deep end, hanging on for dear life. I have no idea how long he had been hanging there, but I ran to his aid. I couldn't tell you how many times I have grabbed him by the neck, and pull him out since then. His dear friend Keisha use to butt check him into the pool all the time. She weighed 20 pounds less than Kodi so it must have been all in the timing that she could knock him in.

To avoid an unexpected sight of floating poodles (or would that be sunken poodles?), I taught them all to swim towards the steps to get out. This has worked against me a way. I can't keep anyone in the pool very long. Their only goal seems to be to swim to the steps to get out, then wait to be carried back in.

So now I have a standard poodle who loves to swim, but is afraid to get into the water. I use to get out of the pool, pick him up (all 65 pounds), and carry him into the pool. I grew tired of that after several seasons, and just started pulling him in. It is really hard to yank a 65 pound mass who doesn't want to move, so yesterday, I decided that we would try poodle diving to get him over his fear.

He would stand at the edge of the pool, I would grab him by the collar, put my other hand under his belly, and toss him in. At first I was really gentle with him, and tried to make sure he didn't go under water, but after a while I would toss him farther and farther out. Eventually, he started going under the water, but would pop up and start swimming (not bad for a water dog). He would climb out, shake off and prepare to do it again. Needless to say, he had a blast. I am hoping that someday he will jump into the pool on his own......

15 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Pawpaw said...

Just found your blog. I found you in my referral logs, and thought I'd say Hi!

Heck of a project you have for yourself. Footings can be a real pain-in-the-butt.

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...is it okay for me to be laughing to myself about the poodle diving lessons?Cuz I am like, imagining you flinging your pooch in to the pool just hoping he resurfaces safely each time...
(honest to god that is how I learned to swim when I was six..
fling okay now SWIM !!!) LOL
This was a totally cool post and it is hot sticky and humid here too...
I have a pool too but your pooch would probably laugh at it...
its just a little blow up one..lol
Thanks for sharing a great post!
Love it..poodle diving..hmmm...here comes my kitty cat for a visit..wonder what she would think of me throwing her in my pool for diving lessons? okay.all for now.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Gooey Munster said...

I was thrown at first about your poodle loving to swin but afraid of the water. But yes, I understand. It is not like they take the initiative to get in and enjoy some swimming paddling. I did this with my dog Olive 2 years ago when we went camping at the rock slides up North.

Yes, the weather here is HOT! I took Olive for a walk last night at 10:30 pm, and what a sweat (her panting, she is 50 pounds, a mix of aussie and border collie hence the coat) we both got. Not even the night can bring relief of coolness.

Stay cool!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

HOW cute! we do that with our dogs too, the only one who really doesnt like it is Maxx our min pin
but right on

it was FREAKING HOT HERE TOO IN TACOMA WASHINGTON 101 FRIDAY, AND 96 SATURDAY AND 93 TODAY YIKES
hope you all stayed cool

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger lash505 said...

Ha I with in Southern Cal, no AC and I am 3 miles from the ocean. I have been uncomfortable all weekend.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger dAAve said...

I hate it when I get thrown in the pool. But I swim toward the steps too.

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Trudging said...

The heat can really take it out of you! Glad that you and the doggies are hanging in there.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger KMae said...

I LOVE Standard Poodles!
What color is she/he?

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Carly said...

"Floating Poodles" would be a fantastic book title. :) Thanks for the chuckle!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I remember reading somewhere that chimps in the wild learn to swim that way. Somebody probably made it up. Sounds like way cool fun with the poodles.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

pawpaw - thanks for stopping by.

Tab, yes I have been flinging the poodle in the pool. I can only throw 60 lbs about 5 feet.

SC, he loves the water but is afraid to get into it.

Lash - I'm about 17 miles from the ocean. The pool is much closer - about 10 feet.

dAAve - you are too funny. Glad you swim to the stairs, too.

Kmae - I use to have a lot of white standard poodles, but now I only have one. As soon as my house gets finished I am getting two more.

Can't post on your blog......

Carla - start writing......

Daniel - maybe that's where the humans learned it.

My other ex might come down this weekend and take pictures of the diving poodle. If any come out good I will post them.

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fun! We took our Xena ~ a 100 lb American Bulldog swimming once. She is not a water dog and so solid she could barely keep her head up. We were with my brother and he had a Golden and a Lab. Needless to say Xena could just not keep up. She loved it anyway.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol@carla b
or how about a funny band name like the Flinging Poodles..lol
yes,,,I want to see funny pic's too of your swimming poodle:)cool!
ps.doesn't daave always know just what to say.. !!!!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger jake said...

Sounds like you're getting the gifts..........

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Tina said...

If you live in the socal area you should consider getting help for dual diagnosis treatment with care and compassion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home