Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I went to Palm Springs Pride this past weekend. I was suppose to go with three other women, but after a boatload of lesbian drama, I ended up going by myself, and hanging out with myself all weekend. Normally, I wouldn't venture out alone to an event out of town, however, by the end of a dramatic week I was functioning in "Fuck It" mode, and ready to manufacture some fun.

I had a blast. The people of Palm Springs were very kind, and generous with me. I left my house with directions from Yahoo to get to Palm Springs. After I arrived, I had to rely on the generosity of strangers to get to the events. At one point I was so lost that I stopped at a gas station, and asked the attendant where the Pride festival was. She said, "Hon, go through the next two lights then make a right, and find a place to park."

The next day before the parade, I was trying to buy a bottle of water. I went into several establishments, and asked the women hanging out if the place sold bottled water. A number of women offered up their water without a hesitation. I couldn't help thinking, "Oh, I like this town......." Once I bought some water, I went looking for the perfect piece of 6" concrete real estate. A straight woman offered me her husband's chair so that I could sit in comfort and watch the parade. How cool is that?

The highlight of the weekend had to be two-stepping with Bella daBall. She was very tall gal with big pink hair, colorful shades, pink mini skirt, and yellow heals. That girl could dance! She was well over seven feet with her hair, and would spin me like I was a feather.

It is just amazing how well my life works when I stay out of the way. I couldn't have asked for a better weekend.

7 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said...

My son has no compunction about going to events and such by himself, I so wish to inherit that gene.

So so pleased you picked yourself up after the drama and had a grand ole time.

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like my Mom. She loves Palm Springs, and has a blast going there. The last time she went she went solo too. I love hearing her excitement. This comfort and connection that you experience while you were there, I hear this too in my mom's voice. I am so grateful for today's time, for back in the day there were no events like this where celebrations for an alternative life style would take place.

Pink hair, I love pink hair!

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT was an AWESOME post Sober @ Sundown..you sounded so free:)
Thanks for sharing~

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you ventured out, got away from the lesbo drama (man, it can be bad, huh?), and had a great time!
Pride in November? Kinda odd, isn't it?
Peace,
Scout

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time. I love it when everything happens just right like that.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope this finds you well. Thanks for coming by my blog.
Peace,
Scout

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger KMae said...

Congratulations!
Much better to Meet new friends when we go solo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home