Saturday, September 02, 2006

It sure has been a wonderful 24 hours. Sometimes I am amazed how good life an be. Yesterday, my carpenter got sick, and had to go home. I was so happy to have a day off to do things that I wanted to do. I have been working on this home repair/improvement project six days a week, and it is starting to wear me out. I work, and work, but never quite get finished.

Since I had the afternoon to myself, guess where I went. I put my wetsuit, and gear in the truck and drove down to the beach. I made a date with a bunch of leopard sharks. I think this is an experience that I will never grow tired of - swimming with the sharks. For me, it is like being fully exposed to the energy of life.

The tide was just starting to go out so visibility was not that great. There were many more sharks than last time. I counted at most eight sharks below me at one time. I was even fortunate enough to see a little baby about 3 feet long. It is so thrilling to be floating three feet above such powerful creatures, knowing that I am perfectly safe.

That evening there was an AA convention in another nearby town so I decided to go to the speakers meeting. After the meeting, we were all filing out,and for some reason I turned around and went back into the crowd. I was looking for a friend that was sitting way up front. This woman passed me, and we looked at each other, and said, 'Hi'.

I couldn't find my friend, so I went to buy raffle tickets. While I was waiting I tried to remember that woman's name, and where I knew her from. I am really bad with retaining names. I like to blame it on brain damage, but this was a problem even before I started using. She tapped me on the shoulder, and asked if I use to live in another state. Then, the light bulb went on, and I remembered who she was. I have not seen this woman in many, many, many, many, many (getting the picture), many years. She had been living in the same city as me for past three years, and I never ran into her. We exchanged numbers, and I look forward to getting caught up.

Today, has been so pleasant. I went to my orchid society meeting where everyone shows off what they have in bloom. One of my friends, who rarely goes to this meeting, was there - he has been growing orchid for over 60 years. Another member mentioned that the Rare Fruit Growers were having a sale in the park, so I just had to stop by. It was with great restraint that I didn't buy anything, but it was fun to taste all the free samples. I did get phone numbers and price lists.......

Tonight I plan to do some dancing, but I must retire early. Tomorrow I want to attend the closing meeting of the convention. At the beginning of this meeting we do The Sobriety Count Down. I look forward to participating every year. It just gives me the biggest thrill to be a part of this experience.

For those of you reading that don't participated in AA, this is what happens. At the beginning of the meeting the facilitator asks, "Is there anyone in the room with 50 or more years of continuous sobriety, would you please stand up?" If no one stands, the facilitator moves on to the next question, "Is there anyone in the room with 50 to 40 years of sobriety, would you please stand up?" There is usually at least one person that sobered up in the sixties, and they tell the room how long they have been sober. The facilitator then proceeds with the next question, "Is there anyone in the room with 40 to 30 years of sobriety, would you please stand up?" Once again, people call out their years.

After 30 years, the facilitator just calls out the numbers, 29, 28 ,27, and people stand, and sit when their number is called. The facilitator keeps counting down till one year. After that, people stand for 9 months, 6 months, 3 months and 30 days. Then the count is broken up into weeks until one week is reached. It really gets exciting when days are counted down to the very last question. "Is there anyone with only 24 hours of sobriety, would you please stand up?" Surprisingly, there is always someone in the group that only has 24 hours of sobriety. The room explodes into applause for this person who has just arrived into the rooms of Alcoholic's Anonymous. It always brings ears to my eyes to be a part of this experience.........

Now, it is time for some poodle diving. It is really hot today.

9 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are amazing ~
Thanks for all you share here:)

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

That sounds great!! What a great weekend!

(And thanks for explaining the convention!)

Is there any other color than purple for orchids?!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Thanks Tab.

Maggie, there are approximately 25,000 different species of orchids, and who knows how many different hybrids. They come in all the spectral colors, and shades of brown, and black. It's real easy to get obsessive about them because they are all so different.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

I just love the idea that while attending the orchid society meeting, someone mentions the Rare Fruit Growers sale - it is like a horticultural secret world.

Thanks for explaining about the convention - AA has always impressed me with the support it gives to those who want and achieve change.

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Trudging said...

Thank you!

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Gooey Munster said...

Can I vacation where you live? Sounds like a variety of life and community there, totally wonderful. It is even better that you are exposing yourself to all of it.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Middle Girl said...

The *countdown* sounds like a marvelously moving event and experience. Thanks much for sharing.

I'm a water wuss--but wow, what a wonderful way to spend a day *off* !

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

EM, you are so welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

Hi Trudge.

SC, I believe you are not very far away....... When is your next vacation?

The Only Daughter, thanks for stopping by. The countdown is so awesome. The oldest sobriety was 38 years, and the youngest was 5 days. The 38 year old gave a Big Book to the guy with 5 days.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Sounds like a great convention. Rare fruit, orchids, and meeting old friends. Wow, how many cool experiences you relate.
Tell the poodles Hi for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home