Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Today, I told my carpenter that if he wanted to work that was fine, but I wouldn't be around. I put my stuff in a large trash bag, and drove for a couple of hours to swim with the leopard sharks. The ocean was cold, but with my wetsuit I was able to stay in for an hour. Then I took a break, ate a few power bars, tried to warm up, then went back for some more snorkeling.

It was fun. There weren't many leopard sharks out today, but the sting rays and shovelnose rays were abundant. There were several schools of neon blue fish, but I don't know what they are called. It was kind of scary when the wave would drop, and there were 6 or 7 Shovelnose Rays underneath me. They scattered very quickly, but sometimes I was too close for my comfort.

The leopard sharks are breathtakingly beautiful. They are up to 7 feet long, and have big markings just like a leopard that are 6 or 8 inches wide. They eat crabs and small fish in the shallow waters so they swim on the bottom of the ocean. I think the season has just started so they should become more plentiful into next month.

The last time I went snorkeling with the leopard sharks I was with my girlfriend. I was kind of sad to be doing this all alone. But, during the day, I was glad that I was able to have my first experience of swimming with the sharks with her. It was a very exciting time, and left me with a very pleasant memory.

Sometimes life is so rewarding.

12 Comments:

At 2:13 AM, Blogger dAAve said...

there ya go ...

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Maui said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Maui said...

Hey you, where are you exactly. I went to my first meeting out there in 1989 at some church on a hill near La Jolla. It was a speaker meeting and I went with a girl that was sober and of course I was high as hell. Your surroundings seem great. Someday, I'd like to get back out there.

Good Day to ya.

Maui

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Gooey Munster said...

I did not know what a Leopard Shark looks like, I live in So CAL but don't think my area has those beautiful creatures.

I sounds to me that you were connecting with life around you. You are redefining what you feel when doing some of these activities that you once shared with someone. It is ok, you are where you are suppose to be.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay.You are something else.
Not just clean and sober NOOOO..your all like..Fencing,
poodle swim instructor,
tango dancer,
houseworkerfixitmastertussleoutfitterworksitemanagaerperson..and now..you are swimming with the fucking tiger sharks.so I have to ask you little missy...just what do you do for fun? LOL !!!!
What an amazingly visual post.
I want a picture of that too!!!!lol
Thanks for sharing~

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger KMae said...

Dang, girl!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

What does a leopard shark look like? Are there lots down there?

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Trudging said...

Good for you!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

well besides sounding very cool and connected that simply ranks up there as one of the top ten excuses I wish I could have said:

"Sorry, won't be in to work today, I'm swimming with the leopard sharks."

Actually, it just sounds so cool I think it is a multiuse excuses:

"Can't come to the family reunions, going swimming with the leopard sharks."

Maybe you could get a plaque made up for home and work - instead of in/out there "in" and "Out" and "Leopard Sharks"

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I can not wait to show Reid this post. That is really really really coo. I was just looking for some type of nature volunteer program and none of them are for kids. Sucks! Rock on sista friend ;)

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown said...

Maui, I am in southern California. I have been to La Jolla many times, but never for a meeting. Thanks for stopping by.

Sober Chick, Google is your friend...... You have to check them out. I don't know if they are all over the coast, but Maui knows one place where they can be found.

Tab, I will try anything at least once. That is what living sober has done for me.

Maggie, Google is your friend. They are awesome. When you come down for that smoothie, I will show you where. They are only around for 2 months or so.

EM, I think I will take you up on that plaque. I am going to spend as much time down there as I can.

Gwen, you would be amazed at the wildlife here in California. It is so thrilling to see all these creatures that live in the ocean.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

What an awesome way to spend the day. I miss living near the water. I love the power and peace of the ocean.
Sorry you're having trouble getting to my place. I'll check with the blogspot people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home